How do I install Java for my Mac?
This article applies to:
Macintosh OS X
- Java version(s):
Mac OS X System Requirements for Oracle Java 7
- Intel-based Mac running Mac OS X version 10.7.3 and above
- Administrator privileges
- A 64-bit browser (examples; Safari, Firefox)
- 32-bit browsers such as Chrome do not support Java 7 on the Mac platform
The screen shots and instructions below are for Java 7 Update 6 (7u6).
If you are installing another version, make sure you change the version number appropriately.
Example: For Java version 7 update 7 (7u7) the file to download is jre-7u7-macosx-x64.dmg.
To install Java on Mac please follow these steps:
- Download the jre-7u6-macosx-x64.dmg file.
Review and agree to the terms of the license agreement before downloading the file.
- Double-click the .dmg file to launch it
Double-click on the package icon to launch install Wizard
- The Install Wizard displays the Welcome to Java 7 installation screen. Click Continue
- On Standard Install on Macintosh HD, Click the Install button
- After the installation has completed, a confirmation screen appears. Click Close to finish the installation process.
To test that Java is installed and working properly on your computer, run this test applet.
You might also be interested in: