How do I update Java for my Mac?
This article applies to:
Macintosh OS X
- Java version(s):
The information on this page pertains to Java versions starting with Oracle Java 7, supported with Mac OS X 10.7.3 and above.
Every time you launch a Java applet, a Java Web Start application or the Java Control Panel, the system first launches your program and then, in the background (so that performance of your Java application is not impacted), it determines if it has checked in the last 7 days for a Java update.
If you choose Skip This Version, but later decide to check for an update, you can launch the Java Control Panel by clicking the Java icon in System Preferences. Go to the Update tab to initiate an update check.
- Launch the Java Control Panel by clicking the Java icon under System Preferences.
- Go to the Update tab in Java Control Panel and click on Update Now button that brings up Installer window.
- Click on Install Update.
- Click on Install and Relaunch.
Save all your work before clicking Install and Relaunch.
- Once the installation is completed the Java application will be relaunched.
- If the Java application does not relaunch, manually relaunch so you can take advantage of the latest Java.
If you choose Remind Me Later, you will be reminded of the update the next time you run Java.
We think you might also be interested in: